The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Netherbury
Time is ever-present in Netherbury, with the traditional church clock chiming day and night as it has done for many years. The church of St Mary is 480 years old with a Norman font, a 15th Century altar. It also has Elizabethan pulpit which was carefully restored in 1808 unlike the church building itself, which was trashed in the name of restoration in 1850 leaving no trace at all of a fine series of medieval frescoes.The Church also contains an alabaster monument to the More family and several admirable stained glass windows. There are two chapels, one for Baptists and one for Wesleyans. Netherbury was once one of the largest parishes in Dorset and the size and prominence of the church reflects its importance in the locality.
It is possible that Netherbury had an earlier church than the present building. The Font is late 12th Century and a drawing in Dorchester Museum shows it with longer pillars and without base and step. The Piscina is 13th Century.
The Many Public Houses of the Past
Netherbury in 1871 had a population of 1,809. Back then the village also had about 6 public houses, Many of which are still stood today but as
- The Star Inn closed in 1968,
- The Branden Hotel closed in 1984,
- The New Inn , Private House "Primrose Cottage"
- Shepherds Crook, Private House
- The Gollop Arms, Private House
- The Hare & Hounds still running today
- The Happy Return, Private House.
The Old School House